WhatsApp has finally rolled out ‘Dark Mode’ for both iPhones and Android devices. The Facebook-owned messaging app claimed that it happens to be the most requested feature as it is said to reduce eye strain. Most apps and smartphone interfaces have already adopted dark mode, including iOS and if you are wondering why it’s a good idea to activate dark mode and also how to do it, then read on…
Why dark mode
WhatsApp states that dark mode is designed to reduce eye strain in low-light environments. The company claims that while choosing colors, it wanted to minimize eye fatigue and use ones that are closer to the system defaults on iPhone and Android respectively.
Steps to activate WhatsApp dark mode on Android smartphones
- Download latest version (2.20.30) of WhatsApp from Google Play Store
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone
- Tap on three horizontal dots from the top right corner
- Head to Settings
- Tap on Chats option
- Now, choose Themes
- Select Dark option from the list
Also note that under Themes option, you will see three options — Use system setting, Light and Dark. Select from the following options:
- Dark: Turn dark mode on.
- Light: Turn dark mode off.
- System default: Enable WhatsApp dark mode to match your device settings. Go to device Settings > Display > turn Dark theme on or off.
Steps to activate WhatsApp dark mode on iPhone
To enable WhatsApp dark mode on iOS, make sure your smartphone has the latest version (2.20.47) of WhatsApp and the device has iOS13 installed in it.
As iOS13 supports system-wide dark mode which automatically triggers the dark theme for an app, if the OS is set to dark mode and hence, WhatsApp for iOS doesn’t get any specific dark mode toggle within the app.
- Open Settings app on your iPhone
- Now, head to Display & Brightness
- Under the Appearance section, choose the Dark option to enable dark mode.